Wednesday, February 1, 2023

Helping Granddaddy feed the cows.

 My Grandfather on my Mother's side was a Dairy farmer and his Farm was in Bostwick Georgia. My Grandfather was born in 1888 and was 70 years old when I was born. I'm going tell a couple of stories about life on the farm. 

I was about 10 years old and My Grandfather got up and said to me, "Come on with me boy we gotta feed those cows so I went right behind him until we got to his 1948 or 49 red stake bed international Harvester truck. It was a pretty big truck and I'm guessing it was about 4 foot high in the bed and it was full of hay. We drove down to the main gate and he said, go open that gate and close it when I pull in. There were about 100 acre before you hit the fence at the end of the pasture. My Grandfather pulled the throttle out a little and opened his door as he said "slide over here and drive this truck. Keep in mind he is 80 years old at this point. He hit the ground at that point as the truck passed him he grabbed the back post on the truck and he swung up into the truck and there I was sitting behind what felt like about a 5 foot steering wheel. My Grandfather pulled out his Barlow knife and was throwing bales of hay and cutting twine all in one motion. We reached about half way through the pasture and we were heading to the fence. My Grandfather finished with the hay and jumped out of the back of the truck and ran up and jumped on the running board, opened the door and said slide over. He thanked me for the help and for keeping the truck straight. We drove back to the farm to the hay barn and we filled the bed with hay for the next day.

I was feeling pretty cocky about driving that big ol truck and then loading it for the next feeding.

It took me a while to figure out what had just happened and it dawned on me that my Grandfather would do that exact same thing without me being there.

The pasture was kinda flat and he would just pull the throttle out to about 4 to 5mph and just jump out and do it all by himself everyday, then jump out and run up and jump back in the truck. But what he did was give me a story I can and will tell my kids and grandchildren if I ever have any. Plus I'm telling you about it now!

Sure do miss my Granddaddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment