Thursday, February 2, 2023

Big Ed was one of a kind.

 I'm gonna throw out another Big Ed story but first I want to make something very clear, please don't think I'm telling these stories about Big Ed to make you think I disrespected Ed or I'm trying to make him sound stupid, nothing could be further from the truth I loved Big Ed like a brother and we had MANY "adventures" together and he was very intelligent but he did have his times like we all do and this is one of those times...

Big Ed had been a smoker for as long as I had known him and this was a time it came back to bite him. This would have been about 1987 and Big Ed would have been driving an 81 or 82 Buick Regal. He was on his way home and we were roommates in my house in Lawrenceville Georgia and this is the story I got from Big Ed..."I was on 85 North heading home and I cracked my window and threw my cigarette out and didn't think anything else about it. After 4 or 5 more miles I glanced in my rear view mirror and saw smoke and thought that there must be a fire somewhere I just passed and I drove another mile or two and now the smoke was heavy and I looked in my side mirror and saw no smoke behind me and just that fast in my rear view mirror I SAW FLAMES...Fricken Flames in my back seat! I pulled over super fast and pulled off my Levi's jacket and went to work on my back seat, another guy pulled over and helped me with a towel and after about 2 minutes we had it out".

When Big Ed got home he came in and said Have I Got A Story For You! We went outside to scope out the damage. It was directly in the center of the back seat was a hole about 2×2 all the way to the springs. He drove it like that for at least a year before he found another rear seat in a junk yard...Big Ed was one of a kind and I miss him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment