Wednesday, January 25, 2023

The Lewis Grizzard you might not know

 I'm sure there are some of you that don't know that Lewis Grizzard and my Father, Ludlow Porch were Step-brothers. Lewis Grizzard Sr. married Ludlows Mother making Lewis Jr. My Step-uncle. Anyway I have told this story in private but never on in my blog so here we go

I worked for Lewis for a few years in the early to mid 80's. What I did for Lewis was...Well anything he needed/wanted me to do. Lewis's career was really starting to rock at this point, his newspaper column was in print 3 days a week and he was syndicated in several hundred newspapers across the country and that caused him to be in great demand as an after dinner speaker. He was invited to dinner at the Whitehouse and was even on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson but before he was on Designing Women. He found himself in high demand and that was good because that meant more money.

Lewis didn't like to fly but he did but flying was always Plan B so he bought a Chevy conversion van with all of the Bells and whistles including a Queen size bed, a built-in cooler and a remote control television. Lewis was doing well over 50 after dinner speeches a year and we had a 4 hour rule. If we could drive home in 4 hours after the speech we would take the van and we took the van a lot. There was a few things that Lewis loved most of a...Miller Lite beer, Vodka & tonic with lime, fried chicken, and last but certainly not least was young ladies...Before you get your boxers in a bunch I'm not talking about children these girls were ALL over 18 and I know that as a fact. One time Lewis described the perfect girl for him:

1. She should be in her early to mid 20's 

2. She should have gone to a SEC College majoring in Home economics. 

3. She should have been or at least tried out to be cheerleader as some point in her life.

4. This was a big one...She must not mind if he cheats on her.

Simple as that.

I said all of that to say this: This happened on a random Saturday not in UGA football season. 

We were at Lewis's house on Burdette Rd. in North Buckhead about 1:00 or 2:00PM and Lewis came I and said, "I've got a couple of girls coming over in about an hour so listen for the doorbell"

I said Lewis I wish you had said something when it involves me and he quickly interrupted me and said this doesn't involve you, they're both for me...But I did use your name and I ask why use my name? He said in case there's a raid I can't afford to have my name out in the public like that. I said I guess it's okay as long as you use YOUR credit card and he did.

After 3 or 4 hours they all 3 emerged from upstairs. I said I'm going to pickup Chinese food for dinner and I got everyone's order and off I went. 

Once I got back and we were eating I was having Pot Stickers and one of the girls ask what that was and I explained it was steamed pork dumplings and ask if she would like one and she said very quickly "Oh I can't have that, I'm Jewish".

Lewis, the other girl and myself all looked at each other and busted out laughing and I ask "So you can't have pork but it's okay for you to come here with another girl and spend 4 hours doing God knows whatever with a complete stranger over and over again". She started laughing with us and guess what? She likes Pot Stickers.

#LewisGrizzard


No comments:

Post a Comment